Australia’s refugee promise
1 minute read
Australia's refugee promise
Despite its hard stance on asylum seekers who arrive by boat, Australia is the second-most generous country in the world when it comes to refugee intakes.
SYDNEY: Australia's commitment to increasing refugee intakes:
* 2015-16: minimum of 13,750 places
* 2016-17: minimum of 13,750 places
* 2017-18: minimum of 16,250 places
* 2018-19: minimum of 18,750 places
* Will also permanently resettle an additional 12,000 refugees displaced by conflict in Syria, Iraq.