The high price of smuggling in Southeast Asia
1 minute read
SYDNEY: The facts on smuggling in Southeast Asia
- Fees charged for smuggling voyages to and within Southeast Asia vary widely
- Migrants can pay very little, a few hundred dollars or less, for overland parts of their journeys
- Those who travel by boat pay more, with longer voyages often costing thousands of dollars
- End-to-end smuggling services can cost $10,000 for air travel and forged documents
- Smuggling from various countries to Indonesia.
- Australia's military operation to turn back boats filled with migrants from Indonesia has cut that route
- Travel by land from Cambodia, Lao PDR, and Myanmar to Thailand
- Smuggling by sea, then land from Bangladesh and Myanmar to Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia, which has often been just the start of planned journeys to other countries
- Smuggling by land and air from various Southeast Asia countries to North America and Europe.